30s Jazz – Stompers at Radegast
The 1930s ushered in a wealth of great jazz: not only hits like “Stompin’ at the Savoy,” “Blue Lou,” and “Undecided,” but also:
- Dance orchestra standards like Artie Shaw’s “Begin the Beguine” and Glenn Miller’s “Moonlight Serenade”
- Inimitable Fats Waller songs like “Keepin’ Out of Mischief Now” and “I’m Crazy ’Bout My Baby”
- Duke Ellington masterpieces like “Sophisticated Lady” and “Prelude to a Kiss”
- Tunes from Broadway, like Arlen & Koehler’s “As Long As I Live,” “I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues,” and “Let’s Fall in Love”
- Songs from popular movies like “Happy Feet” (from ‘King of Jazz’), “On the Sentimental Side” (from Bing Crosby in ‘Dr. Rhythm’), and “Jeeper Creepers” (from ‘Going Places,’ in which Louis Armstrong sings this song to a horse!)
We’ll play all these and more—join us for good music, dancing, company, drinks, and German food!
📷 Voon Chew
With a workshop by Emily Vanston at 6:30, and free beginners’ lesson at 7:30. “Elegant, air conditioned hall with excellent wooden dance floor. Beginners Welcome! No Experience Necessary! No Partner Needed!”
Presenting a musical tribute to Sidney Bechet. “Join us every Monday as we celebrate the vibrant, hedonistic Weimar era with our ‘neue’ weekly ‘Tanz Kabarett’ featuring NYC’s best Hot Jazz & Swing bands, plus swing DJs, classic burlesque, dance groups, and awesome food & drink specials—all just 2 blocks from Grand Central…and best part, NO COVER!!”
Get Rhythm In Your Feet: The Music Of J. Russel Robinson and the Original Dixieland Jass Band
Gordon Au’s Grand St. Stompers celebrate the first commercially released jazz recording in this homage to the Original Dixieland Jass Band and their pianist and ragtime composer J. Russel Robinson. The exceptional period jazz vocalist Molly Ryan adds to the authentic vintage sound for a night of rhythm in your feet. The concert will start with a brief introduction and gramophone presentation by Michael Cumella (aka Phonograph DJ MAC), the host of WFMU Radio’s Antique Phonograph Music Program.
performing for your event.
Join our Email List to hear
about upcoming shows!